Wednesday 2 November 2016

Genestealer Cult Progress Report

Good grief but there are a lot of bodies in a Genestealer Cult army.

I’m trying to get my new army ready for a tournament at the end of November (ITC Scottish Open). I’ve completed 20 Metamorphs, and 10 Acolytes to a reasonable table top standard, and I’ve got another 15 Acolytes and 20 Neophytes to a basic “base coat and wash” standard. But I’ve still got 20 Genestealers, 20 Acolytes , 20 Neophytes a Patriarch, 2 Primi and 2 Magi that are grey plastic! At least they’re all built.


I’m still working to the list I posted last time – for ease of reference it’s

Cult Insurrection Detachment

Brood Cycle

5 Acolytes
5 Acolytes
5 Acolytes

5 Metamorphs

10 Neophytes. 2 Seismic Cannons
10 Neophytes. 2 Seismic Cannons

20 Purestrain Genestealers

Command

Patriarch (Level 2)
Magus (level 2), Crouchling. 

Subterranean Uprising

Primus

5 Acolytes, 2 Rock Saws
5 Acolytes, 2 Rock Saws
20 Acolytes

10 Metamoprphs, 3 Claws, 3 Lashes
10 Metamoprphs, 3 Claws, 3 Lashes

CAD

Magus (level2)
Primus

10 Neophytes. 2 Seismic Cannons
10 Neophytes. 2 Seismic Cannons


There is no way I’m going to get them all finished by the end of November, however I’m hoping I’ll get them all to a “base coat and washed” standard, which is all the tournament requires. I should get them all done for the LVO. Tonight at the club I’ve recruited the help of a friend to try and get the genestealers and the remaining Acolytes base coated. We should get through most of them.

The Deathwatch Overkill boxes have been a god send! This would have been a horrible expensive army to buy without them. I’ve bought 3 (so far!), splitting the marines with a couple of friends. So I’ve got 3 Patriarchs, 3 Primi, 3 Magi, 36 Acolytes, 48 Neophytes, 12 Aberrants and 6 genestealers for £95 (we got a very good deal on the Overkill boxes) ….. not bad. Buying this in separate boxes at GW prices I reckon would come to over £400!!! I’ve had to buy a few extra boxes to make up the numbers (and get some special weapons), but the whole army will come in under £300. Still - hardly cheap, but at full retail, buying separate boxes, this would have been over £600…..!

In other news, the TO for the tournament has confirmed that Cult Ambush does count as infiltrating, which means that Servo Skulls will shut down a first turn charge. However, he’s also ruled that deploying via cult ambush does not mean you’ve moved (except on a 1 or a 2), so Heavy Weapons can fire at full BS. In addition, he’s ruled that the Primus from the CAD will allow another unit from the Subterranean Uprising detachment to roll three dice on Cult Ambush. I t hink this is pretty fair.

Still haven’t worked out how to beat Tau if I go 2nd. One “glimmer of hope” is that if I summon units and place them using Cult Ambush they can’t get intercepted. Summoning happens after the movement phase, and intercept happens at the end of the movement phase. Another “glimmer” is that if I roll a 5 on cult ambush, the unit gets to fire immediately, i.e. before intercept …… and the target needs to take a pinning check. There’s no way to modify leadership however, so they will probably pass. Clutching at straws I know.

Anyway, back to the painting desk!

EYIG

No comments:

Post a Comment